Guide to Gaming
Struggling to understand the world of gaming and just what to buy them this Christmas?
Don't stress, as we've put together an overview of our most popular consoles, including who they're best suited for and a snapshot of key features to help set you on the right gaming path.
Gaming at home
There are currently three main consoles in Australia: Wii, PlayStation3 and XBox 360 (plus handheld consoles).
Each have their own special features, along with a library of games. Here are the consoles that Target offer:
Gone are the days of gaming being just the domain of teenagers, these days, it's a whole family affair, especially with the Wii. Just grab the Wii Remote Plus and point, throw, swing, turn, shake and twist! Great for beginners and social gamers too, the Wii is a hands-on, interactive gaming experience that provides endless hours of fun for everyone, regardless of age or skill level.
- Quality sport and fitness titles.
- Built-in Wi-Fi channels that let you surf the net*, edit photos and check the news.
- Online service - no subscription required.
- Make online purchases using Nintendo points, purchased via your console or in store.
PlayStation 3 (PS3) is the ultimate entertainment console - ideal for the whole family. With a wide range of quality games and a huge range of features, it's also popular amongst serious gamers and gadget fans.
- The only console with an integrated Blu-ray player, also compatible with DVDs.
- High definition graphics and complete 3D capabilities for movies, photos and games.
- Store all your digital content, including photos, videos and music.
- Built-in web browser.
- Built-in Wi-Fi (broadband internet connection required).
- Free online service^ - no subscription required to join or play online.
- Stream free^ music videos via VidZone or subscribe to Music Unlimited for access to over 7 million audio tracks streamed directly to your PS3.
- Catch-up on TV programs from ABC and Channel 7, with more to come.
- Shop online for games and game add-ons at the PlayStation Store using PlayStation Network prepaid cards - available in store.
- Download movies to rent or own in SD or HD.
Ideal for movie fans, serious gamers, web surfers, teens and adults, the XBOX 360 brings games and entertainment to life in extraordinary new ways - and no controller is required! It's easy to use, loads of fun and you're in charge - you can even control a HD movie with just a wave of the hand!
- Music and picture files stored on the XBOX 360 can be viewed using Microsoft Windows.
- Download games, movies and more.
- Social and online services via XBOX Live.
- Play online with friends.
- Watch FOXTEL TV and stream HD movies with Zune Marketplace.
- Connect on Facebook, Twitter and Video Kinect.
Handheld consoles are portable devices, so ideal for anyone on-the-go! They have very similar features to standard games consoles, but the controls, screens and speakers are all part of a single unit. Two of our best handheld consoles are Nintendo's 3DS and DSi.
- 3D without the need for special glasses.
- Nintendo 3DS camera so that you can take and view your photos in full 3D.
- The built-in 3D 'depth slider' allows players to immediately adjust intensity of the 3D settings to their liking.
- Built-in motion and gyro sensor, reacts to the motions and tilt of the Nintendo 3DS.
- The new 'circle pad', offers full analogue control in 3D game worlds.
- Play believable augmented reality games by using the outer camera.
- Nintendo 3DS brings players together in exciting new ways with 'street pass' communication.
- Listen to music and record sound.
- Nintendo DSi camera – great for keeping a photo diary.
- Browse the web on your Nintendo DSi.
- Download games and new apps using your Nintendo points from the Nintendo DSi Shop.
- Store and play music Nintendo DSi sound.
- Exchange photos with other Nintendo DSi users.
Check out more games and accessories in store and online.
* Broadband internet connection required. Internet usage charges may apply. Consult with your Internet Service Provider (ISP).